Thursday, May 31, 2012

Coop progress for the egg birds...

A little over a month ago, I posted about the progress of the egg bird coop.  Well, yesterday (only a little over a month later), I finally got the thing all closed in and critter proofed.  It doesn't look much different than it did, except for the trim around the roof to close in the gaps of the rafters, there's a chicken door installed at the bottom now (with double latches to further raccoon-proof their humble abode), and my garden has had a month to come in and look quite nice up against the giant pile of crap chicken coop in my front yard.



Now here's a great tip that I read (and obviously didn't heed the warning), and I'm passing on to you before you make the same mistake I did:
Get your coop done before you get your chickens!!!!!

Thankfully, my egg birds aren't growing at nearly the pace of the meat birds, and they're still perfectly content with their pampered life in my spare bedroom.  So they're pretty thrilled about my lack of good planning on this project.  BUT, I'm not.  They need to get out of my house, and into theirs.  So I'm off to spend some quality time with my post-hole digger, and hopefully make some progress on getting them a fence before the end of today.


Thanks for stopping by,
-Lindsey

4 comments:

  1. Your coop is cute! Good luck with the fencing. Post some pictures when you move the chicks in their new home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's a couple pics here on Friday's post ( http://prettycluckedup.blogspot.nl/2012/06/rest-of-chickens-are-outside-preview-of.html ) of them outside. their fence isn't done yet, but their house is all officially critter-proofed, and it's way bigger than the little box they were inhabiting in my spare bedroom. So out they went. They should have a fence by the beginning of next week (weather permitting, which doesn't look great). Very high chance that I could be putting up fencing in the pouring rain... ugh.

      Delete
  2. Love how you re-purposed the old doors for the coop! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! those doors have traveled with me many places, strangely enough. It was great to finally find a home for them!

      Delete