Tuesday, May 29, 2012

have you ever had a Mom-date?

How was everyone's long weekend?  I hope it was full of BBQ greatness.  I did something over the weekend that was long overdue, and highly recommend that every other mother on the face of the planet make time for now and again.  I took myself on a Mom-Date.  Just me, flying solo, no schedule, no worries.  Seriously, folks, this is an important thing to do every now and then.

Here's what you need to pull of a great Mom-date with yourself:
~Someone awesome to watch your kid/s for an unspecified amount of time.  It has to be totally OK with them if you decide to be a little late getting home (by, oh, 3 hours or so, if need be).
~Something flattering to wear.  You deserve to have a day where you can play dress-up and look nice for yourself.  It doesn't have to be fancy.  It just has to be something you feel good in.
~Functioning speakers in your car.
~About $40.00 in cash.

For my date with myself I:
~did a quick session of yoga with a new video I found on Pinterest.  I'm still not up to full work-out potential after my surgery.  So the 15 minute quickie was just enough to make me feel less like a sloth without overdoing anything.
~wore jeans and a tank top, not fancy at all, but it's an outfit I feel attractive in, so mission accomplished.
~went the extra mile, and spritz on a little perfume for myself.  I don't think I can truly explain why this felt so fantastic, but I can't remember the last time I actually wore perfume, and it was thrilling to have some on and feel like a real woman who gave a shit about herself.
~rolled the windows down in my car, and listened to whatever I wanted to as loud as I wanted to.  No joke, NPR was on just as loud as the Beastie Boys.  This is was my day to do whatever I wanted, remember?
female cast of what to expect when you're expecting
What to Expect When You're Expecting
~ took myself to see What To Expect When You're Expecting.  Kind of an ironic choice, since I just got "fixed" a few weeks ago, but it's the chick-flick that was available, and that's the genre I was shooting for to add some humor to my day.  Have you ever gone solo to the movies?  IT-IS-AWE-SOME!  No compromising with anyone on what to see, it's cheaper when you only have to buy one ticket, and if you bring along your snack-sneaking tote you can hide a water bottle and some yummy goodies that you can pick up at a convenience store along the way for a fraction of the price of popcorn, and a fraction of the calories as well.  Additional bonus:  it's totally OK to cry at the sappy parts when your husband isn't there to witness your moment of weakness.    
~treated myself to something I won't feel bad about later.  I was in desperate need of new shorts for this Summer.  I was down to only one pair left (the cut-offs I made myself last week) that fit me (in a good way.  the rest from last year were too big.  Finally!).  So I went to Goodwill, spent $21.00, and came away with 4 pairs of shorts.
~didn't sweat the small stuff.  I was running late for my movie because I stopped for my snacks, and there was a longer that expected line at the store.  Oh well.  I called to let my husband know that I'd be coming home later than I'd originally estimated so he wouldn't worry that I was dead, picked a later showing of the movie,  and went about doing my shopping before the movie instead of after.  Trust me... once your husband gets a glimpse at the relaxed, unsnarled version of you that he married ages ago, he will have no problem whatsoever with hanging with the kiddo/s while you take a day off now and then to refuel.

So between the movie snacks, the admission to the theater, and my new shorts, I spent a whopping $36.00 for and entire day of totally unscheduled, unstructured, uncomplicated me-time.  Ladies, please make time to do this for yourself.  SOOOOOOO worth it...


Thanks for stopping by,
-Lindsey                    


No comments:

Post a Comment