Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"Make it work..." Tim Gunn, you're my hero for saying those words


I'm not usually a big follower of reality television, but I do love the hell out of Project Runway.  I love it partially to watch the disasters that are usually the most adored looks by the judges, but primarily, I love it for Tim Gunn.  I know it's TV, and they portray people the way they want, but he just seems to me like the epitome of class.  He carries himself well, he's always kind, even while delivering criticism, and if you've ever watched his "It Gets Better" video you'll see that he's a man who has been through amazing troubles and not only survived, but persevered and went on to help others who are also struggling.  That, to me, is a winning combination in a role model.  That and, of course, his famous line that he delivers in every episode that I think of every time I'm in a bind...

It's so simple, but it applies in every part of life.  Seriously, I think of Tim Gunn saying to me, "Make it work."  

This is one of the most important concepts to grasp in life, really.  It applies to parenting, your personal style, the extra options you wish you had for yourself and your family if money were no object...

Start improvising on your recipes if you're out of an ingredient it calls for.  Have an at-home movie night when money's tight.  Grow some small container gardens if you're worried about the chemicals on store-bought veggies.  Try shopping for high quality items at thrift stores instead of paying new retail prices for them.  Celebrate the accomplishments your kids have made instead of worrying about what their peers are up to.  When things aren't working out the way you had planned, you just have to go with what you have and make it work.  

Thanks for stopping by,
-Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment