Monday, June 25, 2012

Manic Monday: lets start the week of with a huge announcement, shall we?

Well, hello there.  Long time no see.  I feel like I need to let you in on a little family secret that might put some of my "absent" days a little more in perspective.  Last Friday, for instance, was a day that I would have loved to be blogging, but I couldn't be, and I wasn't sure then if I could/should reveal why not.  I talked to Hubby about this, and even though this is super personal to us, I also want to share some of our journey through the process, because it's exactly the kind of writing I wish I could find right now from someone else.  So hopefully I'll be able to offer some support for families going down the same path...

Wouldn't it be nice to have a little
brother or sister to read to instead of the dog?
We're adopting.  The way I was leading up to that, you probably thought it was going to be something horrific, huh?  Sorry.  No, it's fantastic!  We're super excited about it!

So, since pretty much only our close family and friends have been made aware of us choosing to do this, I have to catch you guys up on what's happened so far in our process.  I will try to keep posts about this topic shorter in the future, I promise.
A brief history of our process so far:
~We started our paperwork in April of 2011, and have been official waiters since June of 2011.
~We decided to adopt, not because we couldn't get pregnant the "normal" way, but because we probably shouldn't (mostly for the sake of our sanity).  I had some complications after the delivery of The Kid which resulted in some hesitation to try again.  Even if things went off without a hitch, and turned out perfectly, it would be 9 months of sheer terror.  To us, adoption sounded like a win-win... I wouldn't have to be pregnant again, and we'd still get a baby.  I had a tubal ligation in May.  No going back now.
~We were open to older children, up to The Kid's age, but have since put on-hold the process of finding an older child.  If you'd like to know more about that part of our decision, I'm happy to chat with you privately about it via email, but I don't think it needs to be plastered all over a public forum.  I'm throwing it out there as a discussion topic though, in case others of you have found yourself in a similar situation.
~When I was absent from the blog world on Friday, Hubby and I were taking a required class to teach us about some issues we might face down the road if we end up adopting a child of a different race than us.  Since we have no preference on gender or race, it's a quite real possibility that we'll have a family that looks like the Jolie-Pitts.  Totally makes me cringe to say that, (not because of what our kids might look like, but) because I want nothing less than to behave anything like Angelina Jolie.  I'm team Aniston all the way, baby.  Sorry, tangent happened there.  I'm back.  So anyway, to us, a baby is a baby.  We both grew up in households that taught us the Dr. Seuss way of thinking..."people are people."  We were both taught that everyone was to be treated equally, and that skin color didn't matter.  The class we took though was to open our eyes to the fact that, even though it doesn't matter to us, it matters to some other people, and sometimes people will say stupid stuff to our kids, or treat them differently because of the way they look.  Oh, how far we've come, right?

So that's where we're at right now... slightly more educated on how naive we are, and waiting for the phone to ring.  By the way, if you're a telemarketer, please don't take it personally when I'm a little more rude than usual to you.  But when you call me from a number that's not in my contacts list, and it's not to say that you have a baby for me, then I pretty much hate you a little bit, and don't want whatever else it is that you were going to try to sell me.


Thanks for stopping by,
-Lindsey   

2 comments: